Engineering & Technology
Glasgow is home to one of the most collaborative and dynamic innovation economies in Europe, with outstanding partnerships between the public, private and academic sectors.
As a result it has become a world leader in precision medicine, quantum technologies and advanced manufacturing.
The city's universities have long been a hub for driving innovation in this sector. The University of Glasgow is home to the oldest School of Engineering in the UK, delivering world-class engineering education for more than 150 years and the University of Strathclyde is recognised as one of the UK's leading technological universities with seven of its eight Engineering departments ranked in the top 10 in the UK on research power.
The city has a rich research base including:
- Advanced Forming Research Centre (AFRC)
- The Centre for Continuous Manufacturing and Crystallisation (CMAC)
- The Urban Big Data Centre (UBDC)
- Imaging Centre of Excellence (ICE)
- Glasgow Polyomics
- James Watt Nanofabrication Centre (JWNC)
- The Institute of Photonics
- Power Networks Demonstration Centre (PNDC).
As well as outstanding research quality, the city has world leading assets for translating research to drive innovation including:
- A High Value Manufacturing Catapult core hub
- Satellite Applications Catapult Centre of Excellence
- Stratified Medicines Scotland Innovation Centre (SMS-IC)
- Precision Medicine Catapult Centre of Excellence
- Digital Health Innovation Centre (DHI)
- Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre (IBioIC)
- Centre for Sensors and Imaging for Systems (CENSIS)
- Quantum Imaging Centre (QuantIC)
- Data Lab
- Construction Scotland Innovation Centre.
- Clyde Space - one of the most innovative companies in Europe which supports the space industry from the heart of Glasgow.
We were delighted to host EFIB 2016 in Glasgow and to use it as a platform to showcase our industry’s collective ambition. We did this during the meeting and through the curation of unique events and activities, supported by Glasgow Convention Bureau, which extended our reach ‘beyond the conference’ to capture the attention of Europe’s industry leaders. These worked exceptionally well and have put Scotland on the IB map as a place for inward investment – we’re delighted to be following up on a number of leads as a result.